The restoration of Innerleithen Church in Innerleithen, part of Innerleithen, Traquair & Walkerburn Church of Scotland, is progressing well. The main contractor for the £450,000 project was John Dennis Ltd, and the architects were Gray Marshall & Associates.
Innerleithen Traquair & Walkerburn Parish is situated in Peeblesshire. The Church was originally designed by Architect Thomas Pilkington in 1865 and was reconstructed in 1887 by James MacIntyre Henry.
The first phase of the project, which began January and was completed in August, included the reparation of the roof, stonework and guttering. Under this phase of the project, the entire roof was re slated and some exterior stonework replaced. In addition, twelve stained glass windows were removed in order for the stonework round the windows to be renewed before they were reinstalled. In the tower, fleche and various parts of the roof, extensive rot was found in the timber so it was therefore replaced. In addition, all the lead work in the tower, fleche, gullies and flashings was renewed.
Over a number of years the skews had become unstable and slippage had occurred, causing the lead flashing to move. This had resulted in water seeping into the roof trusses and walls. Subsequently the skews were all removed, the walls in the immediate area were repaired and the lead flashing was placed under the skews before they were replaced, with the skews all being pinned in place. In the two main gullies the timber was replaced along with the lead work. In addition, the rainwater outlets were enlarged and trace elements were fitted n order to eliminate the risk of the water freezing in the gullies. All gutters and down pipes were replaced.
As the building is listed, all the work was carried out to meet the requirements laid down by Historic Scotland.
The project has been funded by £125,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund and £125,000 from Historic Scotland, with the remainder coming from the church.