Alexander Scott’s Hospital was originally constructed in 1855, by money bequeathed by Doctor Alexander Scott, to provide accommodation and care for the elderly people of Huntly.
The building, designed by the Scottish Architect William Smith, is a category A listed building, noted for its striking red sandstone masonry and silvery grey granite. Located in a peaceful area of the town the residents have access to spacious gardens which also provide fresh produce for the kitchens.
In 1900 due to expanding demand for spaces in the care home major alterations were undertaken to the building by two local benefactors, Morrison and Simpson, who each funded the construction of the east and west wings, to provide additional accommodation, the commanding central tower was added to complete the façade.
Under the care of the current Matron – Elizabeth Alexander, who has held the position since 1993 – Alexander Scott’s hospital provides round the clock care for up to 40 residents in individual rooms.
The internal structure has been updated and improved several times in recent history, to upkeep with current legislation for modern care homes. Unfortunately, with the exception of the roof which had extensive work carried out to repair the perished original Scottish slates in 1991, led at the time by LDN Architects, the external fabric has had little works carried out to it in recent times, and in places the delicate masonry was becoming an issue. It was LDN architects again which were commissioned to carry out a survey of the masonry on the East wing and who appointed Masonry and Lime Ltd as main contractors to carry out the repairs in 2013.
The local red sandstone that the building was constructed in is fairly soft, with a relatively high clay content, making it prone to weathering, this erosion was compounded by the addition of cement pointing carried out sometime likely in the 60’s. As a result many of the more delicate sandstone features such as the window mullions were in a poor structural state.
Given the façade of the hospital is noted in the listing, and to retain the character and history of the building, sympathetic repairs were planned for the masonry. Many of the stones were beyond conservation or repair and it was decided that full stone replacements were required to retain the structural integrity of the masonry.
The new stones were carved locally and installed by the masonry team. Careful consideration was taken in choosing a suitable replacement stone type. After samples of the original stone were sent off for analysis, Corsehill sandstone, supplied by Dunhouse Natural Stone, was chosen for its similar porosity and compressive strength.
Where it was possible to save sections of original masonry smaller masonry indents were used to retain original projections and profiles. Clay pockets within the existing stone were filled with pigmented lime mortar to help shed water from the surfaces.
In addition to the masonry repairs all the cement pointing was carefully removed and replaced with a feebly hydraulic lime mortar to better protect the masonry from future damage. The numerous sash and case windows which dated from the 1900 build, were also surveyed and repaired by the team from RCJ Joiners.
Some of the most visual transformations of the works were: the reinstatement of the lime harling on the old sections of the building, which both lightened and added a distinct identity to the main entrance at the front of the building. The harling also lifted the appearance of the rear elevations as viewed from the gardens. Not all locals originally agreed that the building would suit a lime harl after seeing the exposed rubble masonry for so many years, but within weeks of the scaffold being removed most had a change of heart.
Along with the replacement of much of the masonry around the windows, the chimneys needed a considerable amount of repairs. Masonry and Lime’s head mason Adam Gordon carefully took templates of the original stone so they could carve matching new ones. The detailed new stones were carved by Masonry and Lime’s own team lead by mason Adam Gordon and several apprentices. The works required the carving of several of the unique sandstone copes atop the chimneys. One of the smaller chimneys was in such poor condition that it required almost all its stones to be replaced.
The repointing and harling were also carried out by Masonry and Lime ltd, their experienced team used a variety of lime mortars including quick lime to best suit the local sandstone’s soft nature. The hand cast lime harling was finished in a bespoke limewash, colour mixed on site by Andy Newcombe of Masonry and lime ltd.
Alexander Scott’s Hospital still requires work to complete the west wing and central section of the original hospital. It is hoped that funding can be sourced to allow the works to be carried out to restore this wonderful building and preserve it for future generations to enjoy.