A £1 million Highways England reconstruction project to resolve a long-running issue with flooding along the A590 at Lindal-in-Furness in Cumbria, is to get underway on Friday (25th November).
A section of the route, known locally as Lindal dip – at the junction with Green Lane east of the village – frequently floods in heavy rain. During last December’s storms temporary traffic lights had to be deployed several times to help drivers pass the flooded carriageway.
The flooding is caused by a combination of factors including the carriageway dip and water from several sources, including the local road network, collecting on the A590.
The work, which is due to be completed by the end of March, involves raising and realigning the carriageway and adding to major drainage improvements completed this summer.
Highways England project manager Peter Gee said:
We know that local people and other road users will be delighted that work to resolve this long-running problem will get underway this month.
The drainage work and particularly the reconstruction of the carriageway, will lead to some disruption to drivers’ journeys over the next few months. We ask road users to bear with us while we deliver these improvements.
Key elements of the construction work include moving the carriageway 7 metres north west of the existing alignment and raising it by up to almost 2 metres in places. An innovative ‘infiltration’ system will also be constructed – using a 1.2 metre diameter drainage pipe to help store rain water before slowly releasing it away.
Several phases of traffic management will be needed and the schedule – which is weather dependent – currently includes:
- temporary traffic lights around the clock from 8pm on Friday until 8pm on Tuesday (29 November), and again from 8pm on Friday 2 December until 8pm on Tuesday 6 December
- a week of 8pm to 6am overnight work using temporary traffic lights from Tuesday 6 December until Monday 12 December
- 2 full overnight closures of the carriageway in both directions between 8pm and 6am on Monday 12 December and Tuesday 13 December
- 2-way traffic using narrow lanes and a 30 mph speed limit between Thursday 15 December and Wednesday 8 February
- temporary traffic lights from Wednesday 8 February and Tuesday 14 March
- 2 final 8pm to 6am overnight full carriageway closures on Tuesday 14 March and Wednesday 15 March
Highways England and Cumbria County Council are working together to minimise disruption to road users’ journeys by coordinating the works at Lindal and a county council project in Ulverston to improve the junction with the A590 at Quebec Street.