St Georges Church
A historic 19th century church, left empty for 10 years, is being given a new lease of life thanks to a restoration and conversion project that will produce 21 housing units. St Georges Church is situated on the side of the River Thames in the trendy London district of Kew and when work is completed will be home to a mix of 2 and 3-bedroom luxury apartments.
St Georges Church was purchased by IDM Properties in February 2014, who have been working extensively with planners and the London Diocesan Fund to carry out the scheme. The work, which began in summer 2015, is scheduled to finish later in the year and involves the preservation of key building features alongside the creation of contemporary, functional and sophisticated living spaces.
Premier Construction recently caught up with Jonathon Curtis, Partner at IDM Properties, to discuss the scheme’s progress so far. Commenting on the project, Jonathon said:
“St Georges has been an interesting project to work on, forming a new concrete frame structure within the existing envelope of the church building.
“A huge effort has gone into the planning of these apartments ensuring that each unit has original church features, such as columns or arches, to make each apartment completely unique, while ensuring at the same time the units all have 21st century mod-cons. These features include air conditioning, underfloor heating & 100GB fibre broadband.”
Each apartment is open plan in its layout which makes maximum use of the kitchen, dining and living spaces. A natural palette provides a simple backdrop for personal touches with sophistication provided by high-end appliances, fixtures and fittings.
With exquisite riverside views, St Georges Church is located within one of London’s most desirable areas to live. From Michelin-starred restaurants to boutique independent shops, the area is widely known for the Royal Botanical Gardens and has extensive beautifully kept land and gardens. Transport links are similarly good with Kew Gardens tube station running into the City while river boats from Kew Pier offer a different perspective of London’s sites.
St Georges Church was built in 1886 and was active until 1959 when the congregation integrated with two local churches. From 1963 to 2008 the church was home to the Musical Museum, housing a rare collection of working instruments and historic musical rolls. When the museum relocated in 2008, the church was left empty and survived the threat of demolition before IDM Properties acquired the building and secured its long-term future.
Founded in 2007, following a rebrand, IDM Properties’ diverse portfolio includes property investment, development, management, finance and construction projects. Past works include Dolphin House in Sunbury, Triangle Court on Camberwell New Road London, Waddon House Wallington, Rosebery House in Epsom and The Hoover Building.
For more information on the development, please visit idmproperties.com/property/st-georges-church.