Roch Castle in Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales, is to provide exclusive accommodation for up to 14 occupants. The aim of the project is to create a boutique corporate retreat and accommodation facility.
The Grade I listed building and grounds are of significant architectural merit and so special considerations had to be taken into account. Going beyond the careful conservation of the historic fabric, Roch Castle Ltd requested that non toxic construction methods be used for the benefit of future occupants and its natural sympathy with stone construction.
Welsh Heritage Construction Ltd are carrying out the £3m scheme for client Roch Castle Ltd, whilst Acanthus Holden Architects are providing a full architectural service and conservation expertise.
The internal works have comprised the replacement of 80% of the internal concrete floors and roof due to the carbonation of the 1900 concrete. There have also been changes including new partition walls – which are composed from hemp lime on wood wool, new internal doors, dry lining and insulation. There is hemp lime to all internal solid backgrounds except bathrooms – sometimes on Calistherm Climaplatte board to raise the thermal performance and aid breathability, all with Keim Ecosil paint. There is new stone and timber flooring, new kitchens and bathrooms and in the bedrooms there will be built-in wardrobes and fixtures, with attractive new ceilings. M&E installation will provide new plumbing, drainage, small power, lighting, data and communications, hot and cold water, a dehumidification system and a heating system. New lighting will be installed to illuminate the entrance of the Castle and the grounds.
Externally, the facade has been re-pointed: there has been a complete rake out of cement pointing and a significant rebuild of cement bedded stonework to the ancient and 1900 random rubble stone structure. In addition, 50% of the sandstone window surrounds have been replaced and new bronze casements installed. There is now a glazed extension to the 1900 roof top area, offering panoramic views of the countryside and sea.
There has been full landscaping to the site, including the planting of new trees and shrubs and a new chef’s garden and drive way. The well has been used for irrigation purposes and rainwater has been partially harvested. One additional grass reinforced parking area has been built, with a grass reinforced rear access lane.
Enabling works began in March 2009 and the project is expected to be complete in October/November 2011.