On Friday 16th May, the ninth annual Roofing Awards took place at the Hilton Metropole in central London.
A record 700 guests arrived at the Hilton to be a part of the prestigious industry event, which was jointly hosted by TV Presenter and Interior Designer Linda Barker and NFRC Chief Executive Ray Horwood.
Winners of the 2014 Roofing Awards are:
- Roof Sheeting – Lakesmere, London Heathrow Eastern Terminal 2a
- Fully Supported Metal Roofing – Richardson Roofing Co. Ltd¸ Penarth Pier, Cardiff
- Vertical Cladding/ Rainscreen – Lakesmere, first direct Arena, Leeds
- Single Ply – IKO PLC (with Briggs Amasco), Blacon Crematorium, Chester
- Liquid Applied Waterproofing – Tor Coatings (with Roofing Consultants Limited), Leeds Corn Exchange
- Reinforced Bitumen Membrane – BBR Roofing Ltd, The Oasis, Meadowhall Shopping Centre
- Solar on Roofs – Bauder Ltd (with J Randall Roofing Contractors Ltd), Tintern Abbey, Monmouthshire
- Slating – B & D Roofing and Building Ltd, Jeffrey House, Edinburgh
- Tiling – Clarke Roofing Southern Ltd, Hollybridge, Tunbridge Wells
- Green Roofs – Bauder Ltd (with Accurate Roofing Ltd), Fulham Jetty, London
- Heritage Roofing – Claude N Smith Ltd, The Laurels, Stilton, Peterborough
The Roofing Awards also reward and put the spotlight on the individuals and organisations that go above and beyond the call of duty. NFRC Health & Safety Champion 2013 went to Lee Smith of Longworth Building Services. His attitude to health and safety took a positive change as a young worker, following a motivational talk from someone who had fallen from a ladder, and planned training courses.
Exceptional Contribution to Training¸ in partnership with CITB, went to Mike Fildes of Fildes Roofing Ltd. On his own initiative and with his own funding, he has provided training to a wide range of young people and disadvantaged personnel as well as the up-skilling of the industry. More recently he has founded his own successful Roof Training Group.
NFRC Safety in Roofing Awards – those who scored the highest within their roofing discipline – Dougall Roofing & Waterproofing Solutions Limited for slating and tiling; Industrial Building Solutions for flat roofing; Impwood Roofing Company for industrial roofing and cladding.
The Lead Sheet Association’s Young Lead Worker of the Year award went to Harry Blain, a self-employed leadworker from Leicester. He scooped the award for his methodical approach and his meticulous attention to detail, producing the neatest and most technically correct leadwork.
The Lead Contractors Association presented the Murdoch Award and Murdoch Sponsor’s Award for best leadwork. The former was won by Martin (UK) Roofing Systems Ltd for London Oratory in Kensington. The Sponsor’s Award went to Lead Tech Roofing for Private House in the Cotswolds.
The Roofing Awards brings everyone within the industry together, along with NFRC, the awards hosts were the Roofing Tile Alliance (RTA), the Liquid Roofing Waterproofing Association (LRWA), the Lead Contractors Association (LCA), the Lead Sheet Association (LSA), the Federation of Traditional Metal Roofing Contractors (FTMRC), Single Ply Roofing Association (SPRA), the Metal Cladding and Roofing Manufacturers Association (MCRMA), CompetentRoofer, and the Green Roof Centre.
Key partners were B&CE Benefit Schemes, CITB, Electrical Contractors Insurance Company (ECIC) and Quality Assured National Warranties (QANW).
Of course the Awards would not take place without the continued support by the sponsors, in particular the SIG Roofing and Roofline who provide additional support in the development of the event.
Sponsors this year include Associated Lead Mills Ltd, Avonside Roofing, Axter Limited, Brett Martin Ltd, Easy-Trim Roofing and Construction Products Ltd, FOAMGLAS UK, ICB (International Construction Bureau) Ltd, Icopal Ltd, IKO plc, John Brash & Co. Limited, M&J Flat Roofing Ltd, Marley Eternit Ltd, Radmat Building Products Ltd, RAM Consultancy Limited, Monier Redland Limited, Renolit Cramlington Ltd, Scott Bader Limited, SFS intec Ltd, Sika Liquid Plastics, Sika Sarnafil, Sika-Trocal, and SSQ UK Limited.