Swingers West End
The institute of Competitive Socialising has opened a new Swingers site following the success of their first permeant site in the City. Opened on 16 March 2018, the site at Oxford Circus is set in a 20,000 square foot unit in the former BHS Flagship store, which closed in August 2016.
Swingers in the West End has taken all of the things that guests love about the Swingers in the City – the holy trinity that is street food, cocktails and crazy golf – and given them a brand new immersive setting. WFC was the main contractor.
Whereas Swingers City reimagined a 1920s English country golf club set in rolling, lush grounds, Swingers West End takes crazy golf back to its seaside roots in a venue that reimages the faded glamor of the 1920s English Riviera.
Features of Swingers West End include:
- A hidden entrance through a seaside souvenir shop on John Prince’s Street (just off Oxford Street).
- The Bandstand Bar – a stunning all day bar with an iconic bandstand canopy roof.
- The Grand Hotel Bar – inspired by the palm courts of the grand hotels of Eastbourne and Brighton, a free-standing building with Swingers that features a huge island bar surrounded by lush palms.
- The Promenade – a lamppost lined boardwalk overlooking one of the crazy golf courses on one side and lined by beach huts on the other side. These beach huts will be home to some of London’s most exciting street food vendors and restaurateurs.
- The Big Wheel Course and the Helter Skelter Course – two beautifully designed 9 hole crazy golf courses serving up cocktails to guests as they play.
- A range of stunning private hire rooms and spaces perfect for groups of all sizes, ranging from 12 to 300 people (or up to 600 if the venue is hired exclusively).
Drinking is encouraged at Swingers, as is a good meal from one of the street food vendors on site. Street Food vendors at Swingers include:
- Made Of Dough Slice Bar – Made of Dough started out taking their wood fired oven pulled behind a Land Rover to festivals across the UK. They have since put down roots with a pizza kiosk in Brixton and an acclaimed pizzeria in Peckham. The new Slice Bar concept serves ‘pizza in teglia’ – Roman Style – with dough made from just flour, water, sea salt and extra virgin olive oil. It’s crunchy on the base and light and springy on top with a proper crumb full of air.
- Patty&Bun – Patty&Bun have been a stalwart of Swingers (City) since it opened in May 2016, churning out Ari Golds and Colin Montgomery’s (created exclusively for Swingers) to guests who are famished from the athleticism of playing crazy golf. With eight other sites across London, Patty&Bun are widely considered to be London’s best purvey or burgers.
- Breddos – Breddos will bring their regional Mexican and American cuisine to the 1920s seaside-themed crazy golf club. They will be dishing up fresh tacos influenced by the roadside taquerias throughout America and Mexico and will recreate traditional recipes with the best of British products. Breddos soured to success serving up their popular Baja fish and massa friend chicken tacos from their taco shack in Hackney, before finding permanent homes in Soho and Clerkenwell.
- The Hackney Gelato – The Italian gelato company founded by Enrico and Sam, who met whilst working at the Michelin starred Locanda Locatelli, brings an English twist to classic Italian recipes. Swingers West End will be Hackney Gelato’s first concession and will serve an exciting menu of gelatos, sundaes and alcoholic shakes making it the perfect fit for the new Swingers 1920s English Riviera theme.
Swingers co-founder and MD Matt Grech-Smith said: “When we first combined crazy golf with cocktails and street food at our pop-up back in 2014, because it had never been done before, we had no idea how enthusiastically our concept would be received. Fast forward three years and Swingers City has been off the chart and has truly put the crazy in crazy-golf – we can’t wait to do it all over again, breathing new life into an iconic location in the West End.”
Swingers West End is open seven days a week for guests over the age of 18.